The proposed Simu Hydropower Project will be located in Bulambuli District, in the Eastern region of Uganda. The Hydropower Plant will have a capacity of 9.5 MW and abstract water from Simu River with an intake at an elevation of 1624 masl and conveyed via a 2m wide box canal [above ground] to a forebay at an elevation of 1620 masl.
Scope of work
Aurecon South Africa was appointed by responsAbility Renewable Energy Holding to provide professional services for a Bankable Feasibility Study including an Environment and Social Impact Assessment and Resettlement Action Plan for the proposed Simu Hydropower Project. In turn Aurecon sub-contracted Proess who carried out the studies.
- Climate Change Assessment
- Water Quality Assessment
- Air Quality and Noise Assessment
- Geotechnical Investigations
- Environmental Flow Assessment
- Biodiversity Assessment
- Terrestrial ecology (fauna and flora) including vegetation and protected species
- Aquatic environment including benthic communities and fisheries
- Physical Cultural Heritage Resources Assessment
- RAP Due Diligence and Detailed Surveys including;
- Community Sensitisation and Consultation
- Cadastral Survey
- Property Inspection and Asset Valuation.
- Socio-economic Assessment.
- Gender Balance Participation
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Development of Grievance Mechanism
- Livelihood Restoration Planning
- Compensation and Resettlement Planning
- Stakeholder Engagement
- ESIA and RAP Documentation and Reporting
Location: Bulambuli District, Eastern Uganda
Client: Aurecon South Africa/responsAbility
Period: May 2017 – January 2018